The Carolinas Freedom Foundation was founded in 1995 in response to former prisoner of war and retired Air Force Col. Quincy Collins’ concerns about the lack of an organization in the area to promote patriotism and honor veterans. Working with then Mayor Richard Vinroot and former Mayor John Belk, a blue ribbon committee recommended that an organization be established for these specific purposes.
Our mission is to inspire patriotism and leadership in our community, especially in our youth.
Our Values: Honoring our veterans and men and women in uniform. Character development. Patriotism. Selfless Service. Teach love of country and our freedoms.
Over the years, the Foundation has grown to become recognized as the “go to” organization in the community where promoting patriotism and honoring those who serve are concerned. The Foundation also now has an active part in working with the schools in the area sponsoring character development programs.
The foundation was chartered in 1995 as a 501 (c ) (3) corporation, originally as the Charlotte Veterans Association. As the scope of the programs grew, the name was changed to the Carolinas Freedom Foundation to better reflect the initiatives in which the Foundation is involved. These range from Honoring our Veterans to Character Development programs within the schools.
Everyone has it within his power to say, this I am today, that I shall be tomorrow.
LeadershipLeadership for the Carolinas Freedom Foundation is provided by a 20-member Board of Directors and is comprised of male and female, veterans and non-veterans, ranging in age from 35 to 80. The Board is a very “hands-on” community service dedicated group of volunteers which oversees all Foundation initiatives as well as the fund raising needed to support its objectives and programs.
Mark Brodowicz, Chairman, Board of Directors.
Current members along with their affiliations are listed below:
Board of Directors
- Mark Brodowicz, Energy Essentials Group, Board Chairman
- Viv Anderson - Brand RPM
- Ben Brooks - Deloitte Consulting, LLC
- COL Quincy Collins, USAF, Ret. - Founder
- Thomas Derham - TD Property Group
- Bernie Funck - Ranger Construction Co.
- Jeff Huggins - ASSA ABLOY Door Security
- Ryan Johnson - Pirangi Capital Partners
- Sam Johnson - Duke Energy
- Zach Kimball - Development Advisors
- Gray Langley, CPA - Farris, Cooke & Assoc.
- Osborne C. Oakley, Jr. - Executive Director
- COL Harry Ray, USA, Ret.
- MajGen David Richwine, USMC, Ret.
- Ivon Rohrer - Development Management, Inc.
- Brent Rosser, Atty. - Hunton Andrews Kurth, LLP
- David White - Healthcare Consultant
- Deborah Woodhouse
- COL Robert L. Clark IV – Director, CMS JROTC
- Janene McGee – Director, Mecklenburg County Veterans Services
- LTC John Falkenbury, USA, Ret. - USO of NC
- Brett Faticci - Wells Fargo
- Joe Glass - Heritage Printers
- Tracy Montross - American Airlines
- Michael Salvino
- LTG Michael Tucker, USA, Ret.
- BG Ernest Brockman, USA, Ret.
- Ann Cannon
- Deborah Cooper
- Moira Quinn – Charlotte Center City Partners
- Chip Patrick – Ally Bank
FundingThe Carolinas Freedom Foundation relies on three sources of income including table seats at the Freedom Breakfast, gifts and grants from foundations, and gifts and grants from corporations and individuals. The Foundation also seeks corporate sponsors for each of its initiatives.
Through continued community support, the Carolinas Freedom Foundation strives to Honor Those Who Serve and Educate Young People on the Importance of Citizenship and Freedom.
Thank You, Major Contributors
- Anonymous Foundation
- The Hearst Corporation
- The Dowd Foundation
- Mariam & Robert Hayes Charitable Trust
- Vann Foundation
- Mr. Rodney Pitts
- Southern Real Estate
- Libby and Richard Miller
- Ranger Construction Co.